Moving can be mentally exhausting, and when you need to pack up your entire home and coordinate so many different aspects, you’re bound to forget a few things. While people usually remember the important things – it’s not likely that someone will forget their pets, children or clothes – you’d be surprised at some of the items and tasks people overlook. To help you stay on track, we’ve compiled a list of things to remember when moving:
No moving checklist would be complete without mentioning the tasks involved prior to moving day. Here are the most important of these:
- Changing your address. Remember to file for a change of address so that mail, subscriptions, bills and other important notices reach you, rather than the tenants of your previous home.
- Inform your insurance provider of the change of address.
- Cancelling/transferring utility services. Services like gas, water, cable and internet need to be cancelled or transferred prior to moving. Many telecommunications providers, for example, require a period of notice for cancellation, and if you wait too late you’ll end up paying for services you aren’t using.
- Arrange school records and register children at their new schools.
- Financial and medical considerations, such as bank accounts and prescriptions, should be transferred prior to relocating.
- Get rid of all excess items that you don’t need, either through selling them, donating them to charity or discarding them.
Preparing for moving day
- Service/clean appliances that you are bringing with you.
- Clean out fridge and freezer.
- Make arrangements for childcare, if necessary.
- Arrange for a moving company, as well as method of payment.
- Organize and label boxes by room/area, so that unpacking will be easier once you have arrived in your new home.
- Have boxes that you need immediately clearly marked, so they remain accessible when placed in your new home.
- Inform family or friends of your plans/schedule, in case of emergencies.
- Keep important documents and other valuables with you during the move.
- Leave things the new residents will need at the home, such as garage door opener, keys, etc.
- Have a final look around the entire house, to ensure that you have not forgotten anything.
Don’t forget to print off a copy of this list of Things to Remember When Moving, so you can check them off, as you go!